Monday, December 7, 2009

God Has a Purpose for Your Life

When God called me to the ministry he called me through His Word! For nine years I did everything in my power to

Evade the call,
Elude the call,
Excuse the call,


but one passage in scripture I just could not avoid. They have become my life verses, and it’s in context of a powerful passage that has confirmed my call by Almighty God. That is Joshua 1:6-9:

6 "Be strong and courageous, because you will lead these people to inherit the land I swore to their forefathers to give them. 7 Be strong and very courageous. Be careful to obey all the law my servant Moses gave you; do not turn from it to the right or to the left, that you may be successful wherever you go. 8 Do not let this Book of the Law depart from your mouth; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful. 9 Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go."

My first questions always were…

Who…. Me?
Lead… Who?
Do… What?
After all…who cares?
Who will follow?

Nineteen years later many of those questions have been answered, and the meaning of the biblical command is now clearly in view. Although it was spoken to Moses’ assistant, Joshua, applies to me.

“Be strong and courageous”? We’re talking about the ministry, not the military! What seemed challenging but easy then, seems at times overwhelming now. The great thing is that each day, I begin with the sobering thought…I can take on the challenges of this day in my own strength and fall flat on my face, or I can ask God for His strength, put on the armor of God, and courageously stand against the enemy of our soul who is determined to destroy me relationally, professionally and physically each and everyday. God will fight for me.

Short Message by Tony Evans….”God Didn’t Make A Mistake”

No comments:

Post a Comment